Active Ingredient: Guaifenesin, Terbutaline
Dosage: 200 ml
Route of Administration: Inhalation
Dosage Form: Solution
Quantity per package: 1 unit
Availability: Out of stock
Bricanyl Ex is a medicinal solution that contains guaifenesin and terbutaline, It is used to treat wheezing and shortness of breath from lung problems: bronchiectasis, bronchitis, fibromyalgia, allergic asthma, acute asthma, premature labor, etc.
Bricanyl Ex is no longer available for purchase but there are many other asthma medications that work the same way.
Bricanyl Ex should be used as maintenance treatment in asthma and other lung diseases in which bronchospasm and secretion are associated factors.
Dosage and administration
The dose should be individualized:
- Adults: 10-15 ml three times in 24 hours;
- Children: 0.25 ml / kg body weight three times in 24 hours.
|body weight (kg)||dose|
|4||1.0 ml x 3|
|6||1.5 ml x 3|
|8||2.0 ml x 3|
|10||2.5 ml x 3|
|12||3.0 ml x 3|
|14||3.5 ml x 3|
|16||4.0 ml x 3|
|18||4.5 ml x 3|
|20||5.0 ml x 3|
|24||6.0 ml x 3|
|28||7.0 ml x 3|
|32||8.0 ml x 3|
|36||9.0 ml x 3|
|40||10.0 ml x 3|
If an adequate response is not obtained with the suggested dose, it may be doubled.
- Hypersensitivity to the components of the formula;
- Heart failure and rhythm disorders;
- Special susceptibility to sympathomimetics (thyrotoxicosis and uncontrolled hyperthyroidism, uncontrolled hypertension, Parkinson’s disease).
The intensity of adverse reactions depends on the dose taken.
Start with a low dose and increase it gradually – this should reduce the frequency of adverse reactions.
The adverse reactions reported: fine tremor, headache, nausea, tonic-type muscle spasms, tachycardia and palpitations, characteristics of sympathomimetic amines. Usually, these reactions disappear in the first two weeks of treatment. Hives and rash may occur.
Cardiac arrhythmias have been reported rarely (atrial fibrillation, supraventricular tachycardia, extrasystoles).
Sleep and behavior disorders such as agitation, hyperactivity and restlessness have been observed. Hyperglycemia, high blood pressure, vomiting have also been reported.
Possible symptoms and signs: headache, anxiety, fine tremor, tonic muscle spasms, palpitations, arrhythmia, nausea, vomiting, cyanosis, tachycardia, mydriasis, breathlessness, coma, respiratory failure.
Occasionally, there may be a decrease in blood pressure.
- Mild and moderate cases: reduce the dose. Increase the next dose slowly if the bronchospasmolytic effect is insufficient;
- Severe cases: gastric lavage, activated carbon; determine the basic acid balance, blood glucose and electrolytes; monitor heart rate and rhythm and blood pressure. Metabolic changes should be corrected. The preferred antidote for overdose of Bricanyl Ex is a cardioselective b-blocker (metoprolol). It is recommended for the treatment of arrhythmias with hemodynamic repercussions.
Beta-blocking agents (including eye drops), especially non-selective ones, inhibit the effect of Bricanyl Ex partially or totally.
Co-administration with xanthine derivatives, steroids and diuretics increases the risk of hypokalemia.