Active Ingredient: Rifaximin
Dosage: 200 g
Route of Administration: Oral
Dosage Form: Tablets
Quantity per package: 12, 28 tablets per pack
Availability: Out of stock
Flonorm is an antibiotic that is used to treat traveler’s diarrhea (caused by a bacteria called Escherichia coli) and irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea. The drug can also help prevent recurrence of certain liver problems, such as hepatic encephalopathy (a condition that occurs when your liver does not work normally). The drug is based on rifamycin.
Flonorn is no longer available in the store but you can select a good alternative for treating traveler’s diarrhea and other bacterial infections on this page.
- Irritable bowel syndrome;
- Bacterial overgrowth of the small intestine;
- Coadjuvant in the treatment of secondary hyperammonemia and liver failure (hepatic encephalopathy);
- Diverticular disease of the symptomatic colon;
- Pre and post-surgical prophylaxis of infectious complications in surgery of the gastroenteric region;
- Acute and chronic intestinal infections due to Gram-positive or Gram-negative bacteria;
- Diarrheal syndrome;
- Diarrhea due to an alteration in the balance of normal intestinal flora (traveler’s diarrhea, enterocolitis).
Dosage and administration
Flonorm tablets should be taken at regular intervals. Depending on the indications, 200 mg 3 times a day or 400 mg 2-3 times a day is prescribed. The doctor can adjust the dosage regimen based on effectiveness and tolerability. The average duration of therapy is 7 days. If necessary, the course can be repeated after 20-40 days.
- Hypersensitivity to rifaximin and derivatives;
- Intestinal obstruction;
- Severe intestinal ulcerative lesion.
- Cardiovascular system: a feeling of palpitations, flushing of the face, increased blood pressure;
- Hemopoietic system: lymphocytosis, monocytosis, neutropenia, thrombocytopenia;
- Immune system: anaphylactic reactions, hypersensitivity, anaphylactic shock, laryngeal edema;
- Metabolic disorders: loss of appetite, dehydration;
- Psyche: pathological dreams, depressive mood, insomnia, nervousness;
- Central nervous system: dizziness, headache, hypesthesia, migraine, paresthesia, drowsiness, pain in the sinus region, fainting, agitation;
- Organ of vision: diplopia;
- Inner ear: earache, systemic dizziness;
- Respiratory system: shortness of breath, dry throat, nasal congestion, pain in the oropharynx, cough, rhinorrhea;
- Digestive system: bloating, abdominal pain, constipation, diarrhea, flatulence, nausea, tenesmus, vomiting, urge to defecate, pain in the upper abdomen, ascites, dyspepsia, gastrointestinal motility, mucus and blood secretion with stools, dry lips, “hard” stools, increased activity of AST, agesia, change in liver function tests, heartburn;
- Urinary system: glucosuria, polyuria, pollakiuria, hematuria, proteinuria;
- Skin and subcutaneous fat: rash, sunburn, angioedema, allergic dermatitis, exfoliative dermatitis, eczema, erythema, pruritus, purpura, urticaria, erythematous rash, erythema of the palms, genital itching;
- Musculoskeletal system: back pain, muscle spasm, muscle weakness, myalgia, neck pain;
- Infections: candidiasis, herpes simplex, nasopharyngitis, pharyngitis, upper respiratory tract infections, clostridial infection;
- Reproductive system: polymenorrhea;
- Other: fever, asthenia, pain and unpleasant sensations of uncertain localization, chills, cold sweat, flu-like symptoms, peripheral edema, hyperhidrosis, facial edema, fatigue;
- Laboratory indicators: a change in INR.
If you have any disturbing symptoms after taking Flonorm (Rifaximin), consult a doctor immediately.
No drug overdose was found. In case of accidental overdose, symptomatic and supportive therapy is indicated.
No interactions have been described to date.